This is not everyone’s favourite, but as we inch closer to tree-trimming time, it’s hard to picture ringing in the holiday season without this unusual drink. If you have the foresight to make this a day ahead, the flavours will meld together really nicely. And, if you have friends who don’t usually drink eggnog, telling them you made it yourself is a great way to guilt them into trying it. Good luck!
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup rum
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 cups milk
- Put a heat-safe bowl over a pot of water, and be sure that the base of the bowl does not touch the water in the pot. Bring the water to a simmer.
- Crack the eggs into the bowl, add the sugar, and beat over the heat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Whisk in the brandy and rum, and keep mixing until the mixture has tripled in volume.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and let cool. Beat in the ice cream and milk, and pour into a pitcher until ready to serve.
- Pour into glasses and top each with a pinch of nutmeg.
Recipe source: foodanddrink.ca
Featured image source: healingthebody.ca