I am in full BBQ mode now for the summer. Cooking on the BBQ isn’t just easy, it’s also a lot of fun, and can be done while you are entertaining too. This recipe is really simple because all you are going to do is make your own marinade for the beef, put your beef into that marinade, and then throw it onto the BBQ.
This Teriyaki sauce can be put on whatever meat is your favorite, but in this recipe I use flank steak. The skewers won’t take long to cook at all, but in order to let the meat soak up all that flavour, you’ll have to start a little while in advance so that the meat can soak for about two hours. Once your skewers are on the BBQ, it will only take them about 3-4 minutes to cook.
Here’s a tip for when you are cooking skewers or kabobs on the BBQ: wet the skewers first. This prevents them from burning, or from even showing grill marks, which can make for a cleaner presentation.
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 pound flank steak
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- – 20 wooden skewers
- Mix corn starch and water in bowl.
- Add soy sauce, brown sugar, mirin, honey, chives, sriracha, garlic, and ginger to corn starch mixture. Reserve 1/4 cup of marinade for basting later.
- Slice flank steak thinly against the grain and place in marinade mixture.
- Let marinade in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Soak skewers in water 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Preheat grill.
- Add skewers to preheated grill and grill for 2 minutes. Turn skewers over and grill for another 1-2 minutes.
- Once skewers are off the heat, baste with the reserved teriyaki marinade.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and chives.
Source: Mom’s Mouthwatering Meals