Insalata caprese salad is a popular starter in Italian cuisine. This salad just consists of fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil, but packs a lot of flavour. While this salad is normally plated and served before dinner, you can also make a caprese salad easier and more fun to eat by threading the ingredients on skewers.
This caprese salad skewer recipe is the perfect little appetizer for summer cocktail parties. They’re quick to make, easy to serve, and you don’t have to turn on the oven to make them – which, for me, is ideal when it comes to hosting get-togethers in warm weather.
You can also serve these caprese skewers as an appetizer at a summer barbecue, as a side for a regular family dinner or to take to work as a quick and healthy snack. This versatile recipe is great for all occasions! I’ve included a recipe for a balsamic reduction to up the flavour components, but the caprese salad skewers taste just as lovely simply dressed with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper.
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 16 oz. package of fresh mozzarella
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- Bamboo skewers or tooth picks
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- In a small saucepan, stir together the balsamic vinegar and honey. Bring this to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and let the mixture simmer until it has thickened and reduced to 1/3 cup (about 10 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- Thread a tomato, basil leaf, and a bite sized chunk of mozzarella onto a skewer or toothpick. Continue until ingredients are finished or until you’ve made enough skewers to serve to your guests.
- Drizzle skewers with olive oil and balsamic reduction. Season with a bit of salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.