Whenever I would go out for a Japanese dinner with my mom growing up she would order the sunomono salad,so when I figured out that it was so easy to make at home it got me really excited. It’s a delicious cucumber salad that is made with rice wine vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and lemon. It makes a wonderful palate cleanser to have between courses, or you can have it on the side of a spicy Asian dish to cut through the heat. Sunomono salad is really simple to make, but it packs in so much flavor. If you’d like to add to the dish you can try throwing in some crab meat or shrimp as a protein.
- 2-3 small Japanese or Persian cucumbers, sliced very thin
- 2-3 tablespoons dried wakame seaweed, rehydrated in 1-2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1-2 teaspoon lemon or lime juice (optional)
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Place the dried wakame seaweed in a medium size bowl and rehydrate in water according to package instructions. Once rehydrated, drain and set aside.
- In another bowl, place the thinly sliced cucumber and generously sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 10 minutes. The salt will release the moisture from the cucumber. Rinse the cucumber in water to remove the salt. Using a tea cloth or a few paper towels, squeeze the water out of the cucumber.
- Mix the cucumber and wakame together in a bowl.
- Spoon a small amount of dressing over each serving (1-2 tablespoons should do it).
Source: Dang That’s Delicious