Whether it falls into the cookie, cake, pie, or tart category, everyone has their own opinion about what makes the best holiday dessert. Yet despite people’s strong feelings on the matter, I have failed to meet anyone who has ever had one bad word to say about a gingerbread man. Particularly if you’re hosting a large number of people over the holidays, gingerbread cookies are a classic seasonal favourite that is sure to boost all of your guests’ festive spirit.
This recipe makes for an even more memorable gingerbread cookie, as they will have a slightly spicier flavour. This will make you about 30 cookies — the perfect amount for a holiday gathering.
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- Cream margarine and sugar together in a large bowl. Stir the molasses and egg yolk into the mixture.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg. Blend into the molasses, egg-yolk, margarine and sugar mixture. Cover and chill for approximately one hour, at least.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Roll the dough out and make sure it is about 1/4 inch thick. Cut dough into festive shapes (use cookie cutters, if desired).
- Place your cookies on ungreased cookie sheets. Make sure they are at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until cookies are firm. Cool cookies on rack, and when cool, feel free to frost or decorate your gingerbread men however you like!
Thanks to All Recipes for the recipe and the imagery!