Making homemade desserts is always worthwhile, but bakers are well aware of the amount of time and energy it can take to pull off something truly epic. We are all in agreement that a three-tired chocolate layer cake is delicious, but we do not necessarily always have a full day ready to devote to preparation. Well, enter in one of the most-loved desserts of all time: apple pie. If you are looking to serve this classic favourite, but are not wanting to commit to making an entire pie, these mini apples pies serve as the ideal compromise — and will always complement whatever else you might be serving.
While apple pie is universally beloved, you can substitute the fillings in this with a different type of apple, or whatever else suits your preference: berries, rhubarb, pecans, custard, and more. Perfect to enjoy with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream – these mini apple pies will be a guaranteed hit!
- pastries for 9-inch single crust pies
- 3 cups diced Granny Smith apple
- 2 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- To create your mini-apple pies, cut 4 6-inch rounds out of the pie crusts. Place the pie crusts into 4-5 inch mini pie dishes.
- Cut the rest of the pie crust into 1/8-inch strips. Set this dough aside.
- Mix the diced apple, tapioca, sugar, lemon juice, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Make sure ingredients are well-combined. Allow the ingredients to stand for approximately 5 minutes, in order for the tapioca to soften. Then, stir again, and spoon the mixture into the pie shells.
- With the strips of dough, weave a small crust on top of each mini pie. Pinch the strips onto the bottom crust.
- Bake the pies for approximately 30 minutes, or until they brown. Cool and then serve!
Thanks to All Recipes for the recipe and the imagery!