My aunt made this salad on Christmas Eve this year, and it was a big hit. Kale can be pretty bitter, but the dressing really calmed it down and the sweet potato provided great contrast. If you’re using this salad as a main dish, think about adding some bacon or thinly sliced grilled chicken to amp it up a little. Also, we sometimes substitute the pecorino for Parmesan.
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 bunches kale, with the stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 Pink Lady apple, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces shaved pecorino
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss the sweet potato pieces in two tablespoons of the olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Spread them on two rimmed baking sheets, and roast them for about 20 minutes, tossing them a little at the half way mark.
- Whisk the lemon juice, mustard, remaining olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the kale and rub it together with the mixture until the leaves are coated.
- Add the apple and sweet potato, and toss to combine. Serve topped with the pecorino.
Recipe source: realsimple.com
Image source: austinfitmagazine.com