My mom makes this cucumber, tomato, and red onion salad every spring and summer with almost every meal. It’s light, refreshing, crisp, full of flavour, and best of all, you don’t have to turn the oven on to make it.
This recipe is just a basic guideline – you can play around with it and add whatever else you like to suit your tastes. You can add basil or mint for an extra flavour punch. You can add chickpeas for extra protein. Or throw in some feta cheese for a more of a rich flavour combination.
This salad is at its best when it’s served with anything that’s been barbecued or grilled.
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 3 – 5 plum tomatoes, quartered and seeded
- ½ red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all the sliced and diced vegetables to a large salad bowl.
- Add the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Toss to combine. Add more oil, vinegar, salt or pepper as needed.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour to let the flavours combine, and to chill the salad for extra crispness.
- Serve and enjoy!
Featured image source: Food Network