Roast chicken marks a classic Sunday dinner. I had it many times when I was growing up, so it always evokes a sense of home for me. When I moved out, it took me several years before I attempted any Sunday dinner recipe because I assumed putting something in the oven for hours meant that it was complicated. Actually, roast chicken is really easy to make – just rub some spices onto the chicken and let it roast for an hour and a half in the oven.
Don’t be like me and wait years before making a delicious and hearty Sunday dinner. Here’s a no-fuss and yummy roast chicken recipe that you can easily make this weekend:
- 1 3-pound whole chicken
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, mustard powder, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Remove the giblets from the chicken and place it in a 9×13” baking dish.
- Sprinkle 1 ½ tsp of the spice mixture inside the chicken. Rub the rest of it on the outside of the chicken.
- Juice the two lemons into a small bowl or cup, add the olive oil, and mix. Drizzle this over the chicken.
- Bake in an oven uncovered for an hour and a half or until the juices run clear. Baste several times with the remaining oil mixture while cooking.
Serve with roast potatoes and carrots and a side of green beans.