This week’s Canada Day will surely bring lots of beer and celebratory backyard get-togethers with friends and family. But in the midst of the range of burgers typically featured in summer barbecues, one favourite type of burger is frequently forgotten. If you and your guests have reached your quota of regular beef hamburgers, chicken burgers make a great (and quick!) alternative that is equally if not more delicious. While I think the chicken with avocado and mayonnaise makes a fantastic — if unexpected — combination, feel free to substitute or add more toppings of your liking, such as lettuce, tomato, and pickles. The recipe below makes four servings and will definitely leave you stuffed.
- Combine sliced avocado and lemon juice in bowl. Add water to cover; set aside. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium to high heat.
- Saute the onions until they are caramelized.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Grill chicken for about 5 minutes on either side, or until juices run clear.
- Toast buns on grill.
- Spread buns with mayonnaise to taste, then layer with chicken, caramelized onion, provolone and avocado. Add any other toppings you like!
Thanks to All Recipes for the recipe and the imagery!