Hectic weekday mornings can make eating a healthy breakfast a challenge. Muffins and cereal are easy, but also full of sugar, starch and bad carbohydrates. For a morning meal that’s full of healthy fats, omega-3s, fibre, and protein, try baking an egg in an avocado.
This quick dish is ready in 20 minutes, but if you’re pressed for time, take it to go and reheat for a few seconds in the microwave when you’re at the office.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp chopped chives, or your garnish of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice the avocados in half and remove the pit.
- Scoop out about two tablespoons of avocado fruit, or just enough so the egg will fit snugly in the centre.
- Place the avocados in a small baking dish, doing your best to make sure they fit in tightly.
- Crack an egg into each avocado half. Try to get the egg yolk in first to make it easier and avoid the egg spilling out from the centre of the avocado.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.*
- Remove from oven and season to taste with salt, pepper, chives, parsley, salsa, or your favourite garnish.
Save the leftovers to take you through the week, or cut the recipe in half for one serving.
*The timeframe will depend on the size of your egg and avocado.
Recipe source: www.popsugar.com
Feature image source: www.popsugar.com