Photo Credit – Boston Common Coffee
Autumn’s arrival, while unfortunately replacing Summer, brings along not only colder weather, but also a new season of flavours. Taste-sentiments shift from summer foods that are light and zesty to Fall eats and sweets which are spicier, sweeter, and utilize the crops of the season.
Perhaps the most “Fall-like” flavour profile, or at least the most popular, is the infamous “Pumpkin Spice.” Starbucks is the most recognized culprit for the annual flavour-craze that is Pumpkin Spice, as the coffee mega-chain has gotten white girls (and everyone else) hooked on their premiere Autumn beverage, the Pumpkin Spice Latte. Now, with the surge in Pumpkin Spice popularity, other food vendors and chefs have followed suit.
In actuality, something Pumpkin Spice flavoured doesn’t really need to have any actual pumpkin in it. Instead, the dish, drink, or baked good simply needs to taste somewhat like the Starbucks latte, a sweet gingerbread-y type flavour. Not that you need to be told what a PSL tastes like, you’re probably sipping on one right now.
Starbucks may reign as the original king of Pumpkin Spice, but now that the seasonal food trend has become widespread, the PSL definitely has some competition. Everything, from main courses to salty snacks, have been given a Pumpkin Spice makeover, some of which look amazing. Others, look simply strange.
To broaden your Pumpkin Spice horizons, check out these 5 creations that give the PSL a run for its money.
1. The Pumpkin Spice Oreo
Photo credit – Time
- Not too much of a stretch, these new Fall flavoured Oreos will be shitting store shelves on September 24th. Read up on what’s in store for your taste buds here.
2. Pumpkin Spice Peanut Butter
Photo Credit – Junk Food Guy
- A flavoured and whipped peanut butter that looks so sinfully delicious, I cry a single tear every time I remember it’s only available in the US.
3. Pumpkin Spice English Muffins
Photo Credit – Carmel Moments
- Now things take a turn to the esoteric side of Pumpkin Spice. Flavoured English Muffins aren’t exactly typical, but just think how good these would taste when smeared with cream cheese and apple butter. Get the recipe here.
4. Pumpkin Pie Spice Pringles
Photo Credit – Amazon
- Why a chip brand launched a Pumpkin Spice flavour (along with White Chocolate Peppermint And Cinnamon & Sugar flavours) is well beyond me, though it does point out how people will clamour for anything PS-flavoured. Don’t knock ’em til you try them, and you can get a can via Amazon.
5. Pumpkin Spice Nutella Swirl Ice Cream Pie
Photo Credit – This Gal Cooks
- Yes, you have, in fact, died and gone to heaven. At least, you will once you take a bite out of this ice cream pie which fuses all the best things in the world, namely Nutella and Pumpkin Spice. Learn how to make your own here.